Friday, April 27, 2012

Acupuncture!

Today was my first try at acupuncture.  I know that some doctors like to do it conjunction with IVF or other IF treatments.  Though I don't have IF, and we likely will never have to do IVF, it couldn't hurt to try.  Maybe it could affect my ovulation and maybe make my body work better.

I met with the doctor and we chatted for a bit beforehand.  We talked about what I wanted to get out of this and the paperwork that I filled out.  She told me about her own struggles to get pregnant with ended with a story that was pretty much, she stopped trying and focused on her health and it happened.  And then told me other story about a woman who did 4 IVFs and was taking a break to get healthy and bam!  Magic pregnancy.  She almost lost her credibility to me.

We continued to talk about my diet and everything.  I'm supposed to stop using Splenda (because really, it's a neurotoxin) and drink whole milk (gag).  She asked me about soda and I told her really I drink it for the flavor.  She asked me about stevia (of which I'm not a huge fan) and told me of Zevia, a soda product sweetened with that.  She told me to eat the full fat milk (when I drink it, I'll drink 2%...whole is a little too much) and cheese and yogurt.  Our bodies need fat and it's not what makes us fat, it's sugar.  So those are the diet changes she wants me to make.  I'm okay with that...I was afraid it was going to be a  lot worse.

She did some sort of Electro Meridian Analysis, measuring 6 points on each wrist and my feet, which represent the energies in my body.  My Lung Meridian was WAY unbalanced, which pointed to some sort of adrenal thing and it's funny she asked me if I had any insomnia or I was sleeping through the night.  She told me that parts of your body wake at different time and the lung woke from 3a-5a.  Every time I wake up, it's sometime between then.  Interesting.  I also have palpitations, which is part of that.  My large intestine meridian was off.  I have IBS, so that was no surprise.   She also thought I might have some adrenal issues and those affect all my hormones.

She did 4 sets of needles.  My body pushed out 2 sets.  And then it pushed out the "relax" needle right in the center of my forehead.  It was weird.  She asked if I could clear my mind and I said no.  After we were done, I was noticeably itching and she asked about it.  I told her I was itchy and she gave me a knowing look and said that she really thought it was my adrenal glands and gave me a questionnaire to fill out and apparently I scored really high which indicates adrenal exhaustion.  She thinks the rash that I've had the past few days is really tied to that.

Then she did some weird thing with a supplement where I needed to hold my right arm up and try to resist her pushing it down.  I couldn't.  So she grabbed an adrenal supplement and had me hold it in my left hand close to my core and then she had my hold my right arm out again and she could barely push it.  She said it wouldn't work if, say, I held a male hormone replacement.  I held it and she could pushed my arm right down. 

She said I could either take the supplement for a few months or I could cut out all sugars and let my adrenals heal that way.  Knowing my weakness for carbs, I couldn't say I'd cut out sugars when I'm not sure that I realistically could.  It sounds lame, but I know myself.  So I bought the supplement.
So that's about it.  I'm going back on Monday, so hopefully I can continue to work on these things.  It will be nice to see if these things really work and I can feel better overall.  
Also, she said I was holding on to a lot of guilt and grief.   O_o   It's amazing what the body knows and shows in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment